Tuesday 2 December 2008

Analysis of two school magazines NO1


I like the layout of “Next” magazine because it is simple but effective. The masterhead is written in a san serif font; using a sans serif font makes the words clear and also contributes to them standing out. The text in the masterhead goes through all of the squares in the rule of third taking up 1/3 of the page. I think this is effective because the text is clear, big and catches your eyes immediately. I think when I come to do my magazine I may use this technique as I think it is a good way to attract a audience. The colour scheme makes the magazine appear less formal and more appealing to a younger audience. The colours used in the masterhead are yellow, black and blue. I don’t think I will use these colours in my magazine because they are not appealing to me and it also depends on the type of magazine I will do and what my aim is to achieve and attract an audience.
The sell line is written in a sans serif font, in black and is highlighted yellow “Your future after high school in Florida” having the sell lone highlighted yellow could be a way of showing the reader that the masterhead is linked to the sell line and is a way if attracting an audience. The sell line is also exclusive because it is aimed at people at a certain age. The sell line is positioned under the masterhead. I don’t think I will highlight my words because I don’t really like the way it looks and I think it overpowers the words.
The text on the cover line is written in white but the key words are written in another colour and this consists of green, yellow, blue, yellow and red. The shade used for these words are a light one except the red which is at the bottom, this could have been done to show that although it is positioned at the bottom it is the most important issue. I might use the colour change in the cover line because I think it is a good way highlight key parts especially if they involve different things. I also like the way it makes the magazine appear joyful and makes you as the reader want to read it. It uses a serif font which is different to the masterhead and cover line of the magazine. The other texts, which are written in various parts also uses a serif font. I like the idea of uses two different fonts because it helps the words stand out and helps the magazine look interesting.
The date line is written at the top of the masterhead, in a smaller font, I like the use of it at the top because it stops it looking plain and boring and attracts the audience’s attention upwards.
The bottom left third has some text written in Spanish which makes it exclusive “Loalo espanol”. You would only know what this means if you spoke Spanish, and I think it also depends on the dialect of Spanish you speak as there are different words for things depending on where you are from.

No comments: